Friday, December 17, 2010
500 gm flour
300 gm butter
1/2 tsp salt
2 grade A eggs- beaten
80 gm cold water
1. Mix flour and salt for a few seconds (I use Kenwood cake mixer with dough hook)
2. Add in the butter and mix until crumbly.
3. With the mixer on slow speed (below no.1) Add in the beaten eggs.
4. Slowly add in the water and mix to form a dough( if the dough too dry add in water a little at a time)
5. Shape into a ball and press it flat. Wrap with plastic sheet and refrigerated it for 30minutes.
6. Roll out the dough between 2 plastic wraps to 1/2cm thickness and it is ready to use.
7. Use a large round cookie cutter to cut the pastry.
8. Take a piece of the dough, scoop the filling onto it,
9. Cover the top with another piece of the dough, pinch the round edge
10. Try to shape it nicely, seal and press the pastry edges together with a fork.
11. Brush with egg wash, bake at 200 C for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Note: I sprinkled some sesame seed on top to beautify a bit.
CURRY POTATO CHICKEN FILLING
1 large piece of chicken breast - cut into thin strips
5 large potatoes - cook in boiling water, skinned and diced
1 large onion - diced
2 tbsp dried chili paste }
5 tbsp curry powder }
1 tsp coriander powder } mix together
1 tsp fennel powder }
1 tsp cumin powder }
1 small packet of instant Campbell chicken soup -mix according to the packet directions, put a side
2 tbsp flour - mix with some water for thickening (optional)
Few stalks of Chinese celery (daun sup)- chopped finely
Salt and pepper
1. Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a wok, add in onion, cook until soft.
2. Add in the chili paste and stir fry a few minutes until the oil separated (pecah minyak in Malay)
3. Add in chicken, cook until tender, add the curry powder and stir fry for a few minutes
4. Add in the cooked potatoes, chopped celery and the chicken soup, season with salt and pepper.
5. Add in some flour water mixture to further thicken the sauce.
Note: I used a large ice cream scoop to scoop the filling on to the dough so that the pies will have an even look and the popped up shape.
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil1 egg
1/2 tsp almond extract ( if you do not like the almond taste subtitute with other flavour)
1/2 cup sour cream ( add 2 tbsp.lemon juice/vinegar to 1/2 cup milk to make butter milk)
1/4 cup milk
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salts
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp poppy seed
1 tbsp n 375almonds
1. Heat oven 180 C. Line 12 regular size muffin pan with paper baking cups.
2. Mix ingredient A until blended.
3. Stir in ingredient B until well blended.
4. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
5. Sprinkle with sugar and almonds on top batter.
6. Bake for 15-20min until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Serve warm or cooled.