With the remainder of the Japanese Chicken Curry, my sons suggested I baked some buns for Sunday breakfast and some for them to pack to work. Also gave some to my neighbours.
Tuesday, December 28, 2010
My sons' is craving to have Japanese curry for the past two weeks. Those ready made instant Japanese curry brand from Japan is expensive (between rm10-rm15 per packet)and a packet can only cooked for two persons.If I'm to cook with ready made I will need 3 packets of it costing RM40 for curry paste! Me aka supermom begin searching for Japanese curry recipe on the Internet, disappointed as I cannot find one that made from scratch. But later that weekend Keat's brought home a packet of the ready made Japanese curry mix.Not giving up on my plan to cook from scratch I went thru the ingredients on the box and came up with my own recipe's which I got passing marks from my family's and neighbours. The curry is smooth, creamy, aromatic and flavorful with a mild taste of spices.
1 kg Chicken meats- cut into 1 inches cubes
1 kg Potatoes - skinned,cut into 1 inches cubes, fried in oil for a few minutes, put aside.
4 large Carrots - skinned, cut into 1 inches cubes, fried in oil for a few minutes, put aside.
3 large Bombay onions- peeled, cut into quarters and sliced
2 tbsp. grated Fresh Ginger
2 tbsp. grated Garlic
1-3 tbsp. grinded chili paste (depend on individual liking)
2 tbsp. Tomato paste
2 tbsp. chopped fresh coriander leaves
4 tbsp. Butter
2-3 tbsp. Cheddar/Gouda/Parmesan cheese (optional if you do not like cheese,we hardly tasted it but its gave flavour to the curry)
4 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp. smooth Peanut butter
2 cups Apple sauce (I make mine with 3red apples boiled with 3 cup water until tender,cool, blended)
5 cups Water
1 cup Milk
Salt and Vegetables seasoning to taste
2-3 tbspn. Flour mix with some water for thickening gravy (OPTIONAL)
Powder Spices: mix together
4 tbsp. Watch brand curry powder (refer to the picture below)
2 tsp. Garam Masala
1 tsp. Tumeric powder
1 tsp. cummin
1 tsp. fennel
1. In a sauce pot melt the butter, add in onions to sauteen until tender
2. Add in garlic, chili paste and ginger sauteen a few minutes
3. Add in tomato paste and stir fry for a few second
4. Add in the chicken, keep stirring for a few minutes
5. Add in the powder spices and fry for 2-3 minutes
6. Add Worcestershire sauce, stir a few second, add the potatoes and carrot, mix well.
7. Add in water,milk, apple sauce,peanut butter and chopped coriander to combine, simmer
8. Season with salt, seasoning and cheese.
9. Serve with cooked rice or pasta.
10. If you want a thick gravy, add in flour mixture, to adjust.
Watch brand curry powder and Japanese curry mix.